Hosios Loukas Monastery is on the west slope of Mount Helicon, near Ancient Steirida. The Monastery is a significant byzantine monument. It was built in the 11th century and it includes 2 churches: the Temple of Virgin Mary and the Catholic Temple.
Architectonically speaking the Monastery is a typical byzantine one. Most information derives from the life of Hosios Loukas, which was written by one of his students, some years after he died. While Hosios Loukas was still alive the construction of the Temple of Saint Barbara had started, which was completed by his students after his death. Moreover, his students converted his cell into a praying place. In the same period his students built cells and guesthouses. So, the first Monastery Community already existed from the end of the 10th century.
Nowadays, the praying place coincides with the crypt and the temple of Saint Barbara with the temple of Virgin Mary. During the Frank rule it passed over to Latins and it finally passed over to Greek monks during the Ottoman rule. During the Revolution, the Monastery was a base for operations for the whole Central Greece. Later on, from times to times it was almost derelict and in the beginning of the 20th century some repairs were made.
MONASTERY OF THE ASSUMPTION OF VIRGIN MARY OF JERUSALEM
On the east slopes of Parnassus, near Davleia village, there is the Monastery of the Assumption of Virgin Mary of Jerusalem or Gerasli. This Monastery was built in the 11th century and it is believed that, during the byzantine period, ascetics from the Holy Land used to live there. That justifies the name of the Monastery.
On a bright green slope, at an altitude of 9000 meters, the monastery is typical of the byzantine architecture. The Catholic is surrounded by big-sized buildings. In the course of time the Monastery underwent many destructions and it was renovated. During the Ottoman rule it served as a body of Greek education in the area, by playing a major role in the preservation of the Greek civilization.
At the present it is a female monastery. In the Monastery there is also the Temple of Faneromeni, at a slightly higher altitude, and it was a place for ascetics. There is also a vestry with significant artifacts, such as byzantine icons and metallurgy works. The Monastery celebrates on the 23rd of August.
MONASTERY OF EVANGELISTRIA
On the east side of Mount Helicon, the Monastery of Evangelistria, built in the 12th century and hides the history of the whole area. During the Ottoman rule the monastery contributed to the preservation of the Greek civilization since the monks were using it as a “krifo scholio” (illegal school). In fact, there is a crypt with an entrance only from the Holy Place. It is there where the treasures of the Monastery are kept. During the kingship of Otto, the Monastery of Evangelistria belonged to the ones that were abolished. It operated in 1959 again as a female Monastery. At the present 25 nuns are there to welcome all visitors who wish to know the history of the monastery. It celebrates on the Annunciation of Virgin Mary on the 25th of March, as well as on all the celebrations of Virgin Mary.
TEMPLE OF THE PRESENTATION OF VIRGIN MARY IN LIVADEIA
The Metropolitan Temple of the Presentation of Virgin Mary is at Athanasios Diakos Square, in the city of Livadeia. The construction of the temple was completed in 1860. It celebrates on the 21st and every year there is a litany of the icon in the city of Livadeia. The day before the celebration the evening mass takes place and the attendance of worshippers is very big.